Ireland to offer medical benefits of cannabis
Irish health minister, Simon Harris, made history on Wednesday, 26 June 2019, when he signed medical cannabis into law in Ireland. Patients should start receiving legal cannabis supplies in the autumn. Here’s what the programme looks like:
- Patients with epilepsy, chemotherapy-derived nausea and multiple sclerosis, who have not responded to existing treatments, will be the first to benefit.
- Ireland will source cannabis from European suppliers to begin with, but the State may look at growing medical cannabis in Ireland.
- Patients will obtain doctor-prescribed cannabis through pharmacies, and existing State supports will cover cannabis also.
- The programme will run on a pilot basis for five years.
Readathriller welcomes this development, and expects the medical benefits of cannabis to be verified and quantified in Ireland under this programme. We call on the Irish Government to actively plan for the legalisation of cannabis for recreational purposes.
Readathriller’s case for legalisation of cannabis in Ireland: https://www.readathriller.com/thriller/how-we-can-stop-irelands-drug-war-slaughter-legalise-and-control-cannabis/
Irish Times report on Ireland’s medical cannabis story: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/legislation-allowing-limited-access-to-medical-cannabis-signed-1.3938096
- One Hell of a Flight – The new aviation thriller from Gary J Byrnes
- Free short story collection – Lockdown Dreams
- Right here, right now, totally free. Bestseller ‘9/11 Trilogy’
- PET – Read this complete, dystopian scifi story right here, right now
- Why the Dublin Aviva Covid vaccine experience sucks, and how design thinking can make it better
- One Hell of a Flight – The new aviation thriller from Gary J Byrnes - 24th April 2022
- Free short story collection – Lockdown Dreams - 30th October 2021
- Right here, right now, totally free. Bestseller ‘9/11 Trilogy’ - 12th October 2021